Monday, October 01, 2007

This past weekend was my alma mater's homecoming.  The University of Iowa is a fantastic big 10 school with great academic programs.  The downtown drinking establishments are top notch.  This year, Ryan & I drove down with out Tish.  It was sad because despite Tish and I living 15 minutes away from each other we don't see each other that often.  Our drives to Iowa City are our times to catch up.  Tish had a conference and was meeting us there.  It worked out good because we both arrived around the same time.  Jen worked her magic and booked rooms at the Sheraton which is downtown Iowa City right in the middle of all the action.  We were on the concierge Club Level and had joining rooms.  It rocked.  The cost of the room was ridiculous but it was well worth it!  Tish, Ryan, & I were the first to arrive on Friday.  We checked in to our room, took advantage of the Club Lounge (with free food and discounted liquor), and then made our way down to the hotel bar, Morgans.  Morgans is weird.  In my time (I sound old), the bar went through various phases attracting different crowds.  By senior year Morgans was known as a rap bar where many football players attended.  My parents liked Morgans because it was never crowded.  That is one of the reasons the three (Tish, Ryan & I) went to Morgans because we knew it would be dead.  After the parade was over it picked up a bit, but not too bad.  The bartender talked us in to ordering doubles because they were only a $1 more.  I had 5 double Jack & Cokes.  I felt great, surprisingly.  Laura & Will showed up around 7 and the rest of the gang came around 9.  After Morgans we went to BoJames for big beers!  It was fun.  We felt old.  Looking around at the other patrons, we all felt like we had at least 6 years on them.  Laura decided to take surveys on the year people were born.  There were a lot of 86's.  Ryan was still the oldest!  He he. Ryan & I headed out around 11:30 and hit up Marco's Grilled Cheese Stand!  Mmmm.  Wonderful.  I wish we would have each gotten our sandwich but we are trying to eat healthy so we split it!  After my half I wanted to go back and get another, but settled for being disappointed as there was always tomorrow.  Tailgating was fun.  We watched the game at Vitos which was also fun.  After Vitos we tooled around downtown and then the other girls went off and Ryan & I took a drive.  It was nice.  When we got back everyone was napping so Ryan & I went to the Lounge.  Saturday nights are weird.  It's tough working on Friday, driving to Iowa City, drinking all night, waking up hung over on Saturday to start tailgating, by Saturday night you don't want to do anything.  The 8 of us hung out and caught up on life.  It was nice.  We could actually hear each other.  Ryan & I left early Sunday morning and drove home through Rochester.  I prefer taking 35 but it was a nice change.  It was raining so hard when we hit Rochester.  From Rochester to Cottage Grove, nothing but rain.  The cool thing that we did see while we were driving (actually it's not so cool) was the passenger in the car in front of us on the on ramp to 494 started hitting the driver in the head.  Of course it was a female hitting the male.  He tried to keep her from hitting him in the head and was pulling over to the shoulder when I started wailing on my horn for them to stop.  Talk about dangerous!  The Fusion Honks Out Domestic Violence.  :)  We made it to Ryan's sister's house safely.  It was great to see his family.  Even his Aunt was there!  Peyton is getting so big, she's able to hold her head and I'm not so afraid to hold her.  Unfortunately we didn't stay very long, long enough to get some food in us, but not long enough to catch up and have time to visit.  It felt good to get home though.  Jasper missed us.  

Work was hard this week.  Not hard because of the job that I do just hard because we were out of town and it was difficult to get back into the swing of things.  And plus work is stupid.  Who wants to work?  Around 11am I became obsessed with finding a honeymoon destination.  Then I went to the bathroom and told myself to stop or else it was going to be 12 very long and distracting months.  I'm such a planner that it's killing me I can't plan everything now and then just sit back for the next 10 months and do nothing.  I looked at theknot.com website where they have a "to-do list" broken down by months, it's overwhelming.  This weekend my goal is to e-mail my mom and Ryan's mom the very tentative guest list asking for addresses and any additions if necessary of family and family friends that we may have forgotten.  I think we did good.  

I'm hungry.  

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I used the Knot checklist too!! It seemed like way too many things do but it was sooooo helpful to have it broken down bit by bit. The list is so thorough that you really feel like you aren't forgetting anything. And I really liked that I could erase the stuff we weren't having - we didn't have a DJ/band so I got to remove all the check boxes about those.

Thumbs up to the Knotty Knot. I believe kelly used it too. (?)

AND you probably got your dress already but just in case you are still on the lookout, I got mine at Brides of France in Edina. Loved it there!

bridesoffrance.com