Saturday, November 29, 2008

It's so nice to have four days off of work. I hope I feel very refreshed and eager to start my Monday morning at work. Wait a minute, it's work, of course I won't be eager.

This year was our first Thanksgiving as a married couple. Hooray. It was also the second annual Thanksgiving where Ryan and I hosted our families. It was so much fun preparing the meal for everyone to enjoy. I loved having everyone's help, especially from Linda. I unfortunately was not the best host. At work on Wednesday, I started to feel sick and had really bad stomach pains and eventually had a similar experience to our friend Ben (at least I think it might have been a similar experience). I tried to suck it up and push on, but it just got worse. I didn't say anything as I was excited to see my mom and dad and have dinner with my sister. We enjoyed a nice dinner and I managed to be ok ... until after dinner. Thursday morning I felt, ok, not great, but was excited for the festivities. Then right before we were to eat dinner it just hit me. Perhaps it was the standing on my feet all day, lack of sleep, warmness in the house, nerves, whatever, all I know is that my stomach could not handle sitting at the table to eat. I made the decision to leave the table and went up stairs to try to settle my stomach. I ended up getting sick and then resting for a short bit before returning down stairs. Not exciting and I felt extremely bad and disappointed in myself for not being able to suck it up and enjoy Thanksgiving. Despite being sick, when I returned to festivities I tried my best to not think about it. That worked for a little while and we enjoyed a round of Uno, Mario Kart and chatting before the families left.  

Since Linda & Jim were going back to Duluth, I invited my mom and dad to spend the night with us so I could make everyone waffles the next morning. I must have made 15 waffles, it was fun making them. My waffles are pretty tasty too, if I may toot my own horn. :) Well, I can't take all the credit, it's just a waffle mix, but a darn good one! Ryan went to work and my dad & sister went to run errands, which left my mom and I to hang out. It was nice having time with my mom. We chatted and I signed her up for Facebook! She probably won't ever check it, but I plan to give her a tutorial when we go down for Christmas. I signed her up mostly because she seemed envious of Jim and Linda being on Facebook! He he. Later my mom and I joined my dad and sister at my sister's house. We ate left-overs and watched a couple movies. I very much enjoyed just hanging out with them.  After Ryan got off of work, he came down to Apple Valley and we watched Happy Gilmore before going to El Azteca for some yummy Mexican food.   After our dinner, Ryan and I helped celebrate Troy's birthday at Shamrocks in St. Paul. It was a fun little bar. This was the first time I saw Naomi since she got engaged! That's right, Troy proposed and they are getting married in October! I'm so happy for them. We can't wait to celebrate. :) 

This morning we went to breakfast with my mom, dad and sister and then I dropped my dad off at the airport. Mom and Melissa are going shopping and then perhaps I will meet up with them later. Ryan is enjoying playing Mario Kart and I am doing laundry. FUN! My stomach is still not cooperating which sucks. I hope it feels better soon.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Bummer that you got sick but I'm glad you didn't let it bring your spirits down too much. Your T-day sounded very cozy.

The Moerkes said...

Please do not feel bad about being sick. I remember Keegan's first Christmas in Luverne, I got really sick and spent the whole day in bed. I felt terrible. I eventually made it out to open presents. To make it worse, it ended up being the last Christmas we had with Grandma Moerke. Anyway, we had a great time and enjoyed the wonderful food. I still can't believe I forgot to have lefse :(